Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
A world where everyone has a decent place to live.
What is Habitat for Humanity?
How does Habitat for Humanity help famlies?
How does Habitat for Humanity homeownership work?
Families in need of decent, affordable housing apply for homeownership with their local Habitat for Humanity.
Each local Habitat’s family selection committee selects homeowners based on three criteria:
- The applicant’s level of need,
- Their willingness to partner with Habitat.
- Their ability to repay a mortgage through an affordable payment plan.
As part of their willingness to partner, Habitat’s homebuyers invest hundreds of hours of their own labor, called sweat equity, working alongside volunteers and other Habitat homeowners.
Habitat for Humanity follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing Habitat’s homeowners.
Visit our Apply for Habitat house page to learn more.
How can I become a volunteer?
There are many ways to volunteer. Visit our Volunteer section to learn how to:
- Volunteer locally — Build It, Repair It, ReStore It, office work, commitee and leadership
- Travel and build
- Volunteer long-term
- Volunteer as part of a group
- Volunteer as part of a special event
Does Habitat for Humanity take donations?
Habitat depends on financial donations to fund our work. These donations help families build a place they can call home. Donate to learn more.
We also have local home improvement stores called Habitat ReStore, which sell reusable and surplus building materials, furniture and appliances to the public. The money made from these sales is used to help families build a better future. To donate materials, call 419-429-1400 for free pickup.
For large corporations wishing to make bulk donations of goods and materials, please visit the Donations page.
For vehicle donations, please contact the Habitat office for more information.
What is a Habitat for Humanity ReStore?
Where does Habitat for Humanity operate?
How does Habitat for Humanity work with the government?
Habitat asks legislators and housing regulators to increase support for affordable homeownership and decent housing.
Habitat monitors public policies related to housing, community and international development.
Habitat advocates for policies that will increase access to decent, affordable housing available to people around the world.
Does Habitat for Humanity only build new houses?
Habitat for Humanity works in a number of different ways to create decent, affordable housing.
- In addition to new constrution, Habitat also renovates and rehabilitates existing homes by acquiring blighted and foreclosed property.
- Habitat for Humanity helps people repair and improve their own homes and neighborhoods.
- Habitat’s advocacy work raises awareness and support for safe and affordable housing around the world.